Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I don't even like ginger cake and I like this recipe! I found it to make for my Dad's birthday and he loves it! It's a great tea-time cake, perfect with a cup of tea.
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (or oil)
- 1⁄2 cup black treacle (or cooking molasses)
- 2 large whisked eggs
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a cake tin.
- Add all the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Add the treacle, butter and eggs together in a separate bowl and whisk.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and hot water and mix.
- Pour into cake tin and bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
Excellent recipe, the cake was tasty and very moist, I used molasses, but next time I'll try finding the treacle for a milder and authentic ginger cake taste.