Recipe by bjd4
Bought butternut squash to make some soup for the freezer. Soups are perfect for DH as he is on his own for three days out of the week. Looked at a lot of different recipes but...... So this is what I came up with.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (400 ml) cans coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425.
- Split butternut squash and scoop out insides.
- Lay squash on parchment lined cookie sheet, insides down.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes until soft when tested with paring knife.
- In stock pot add 2 tablespoons olive oil and scallions.
- Cook until soft.
- Sprinkle in all spices and stir until lightly toasted.
- Add chicken stock, peeled and chopped cooked butternut squash and some salt & pepper.
- Cook on medium heat until squash is falling apart, about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and fresh ginger.
- Stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Blend soup in food processor and strain through fine sieve.
- Return to clean pot to heat and serve or cool completely to store.