Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The combination of ginger and butternut squash is delicious and addictive. This recipe yields a creamy soup without the use of any cream. I love to whip this soup up with my immersion blender right in the pot. This soup also freezes well. You can serve it with a dollop of sour cream if you desire, although I serve it without a garnish. If you want to make this a completely dairy free soup, use dairy free margarine (Fleishman's unsalted, or Earth Balance.) Oh yeah, and you MUST use fresh ginger.
- 1. Melt butter or margarine in stock pot, and add onions. Sautee over medium heat until translucent.
- 2. Add ginger, garlic, and cubed butternut squash. Sautee a few more minutes until fragrant.
- 3. Add orange juice, and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- 4. With an immersion blender, puree until it is completely smooth and creamy.
- 5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If it is too thick you may add more water.