Recipe by That is Dr House to you
A wonderful flavor base for any oriental style soup. From Mostly Vegetables by Susan Costner
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 6 slices fresh gingerroot
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 quarts water, see note
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: Can use a very light vegetable broth with not many strong flavored vegetables in it also.
- In stock pot combine the first 6 with the stock and wine.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Let rest 20.
- Strain through a lined strainer. Use several layers of rinsed cheesecloth and discard all solids.
- The broth can be used immediately or cooled and refrigerated for 2 days.
- Freezes for up to 3 months.