Prep 1 hr
Cook 96 hrs
From: “The Africa Kitchen” by Josie Stow and Jan Baldwin. I LOVE ginger beer and am on a quest for the perfect one!
- In a large pot, bring 10 pints of water to a boil.
- Add the ginger and sugar then let cool to lukewarm.
- Add the raisins and sprinkle in the yeast.
- Cover and leave in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Strain the liquid and pour into the sterilized bottles.
- Screw on the bottle tops and refrigerate for another 2 days before drinking.
This was really good. It reminded me very much of Reed's ginger beer that you buy in the grocery store, only not as sweet and certainly not as expensive. My only complaint is that it has kind of a funky smell, but I'm thinking that may be because I didn't peel the ginger? I'm definitely going to make this again, next time peeling the ginger to see if that makes a difference in the smell. If you haven't made it yet, I highly recommend it, especially if you like ginger beer with a good, spicy bite to it.