Prep 5 mins
Cook 36 hrs
The commercial brand in South Africa is Stoney, but this is the easiest thing to make for literally pennies. Compared with the purchased product. I would drink my home brewed beer any day!
- 2 gallons water
- 1 cup fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil and add ginger, sugar and cream of tartar, if using.
- Allow to cool to body temperature then add the yeast and raisins.
- Place in a container with lid and leave undisturbed for 36 hours.
- Strain through sieve or cheesecloth and bottle.