Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
A New Zealand beverage.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried yeast granules
For the Ginger Beer
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons
- 1 tsp- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 cup boiling water
- For the starter, put sugar in warm water to dissolve. Add yeast and allow to proof.
- Juice the lemons and grate the rinds. Put into a heatproof container with the sugar and ginger and pour in 1 cup boiling water. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain into a 1.5 liter bottle and top up with cool water so it is room temperature.
- Once yeast has foamed, add to bottle and cap tightly.
- Mix thoroughly and put in a warm place.
- Leave the bottle alone until you cannot dent it (12 hours-3 days). Be sure to check regularly.
- Refrigerate until chilled and open carefully.