Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Based on Miraklegirl's "Crispy Ginger Beef" (Crispy Ginger Beef). I modified her recipe based on the ingredients I had on hand. The sauce turned out really yummy, so I'm posting my version here for safe-keeping. (My husband and I aren't huge stir-fry fans, so now that I've found a recipe we both enjoy I'd better not lose it...) Of course, the meat and veggies can be substituted for whatever you have handy (or make it meatless if you want).
- 250 g stir-fry beef
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Note, because this cooks pretty fast, have all your measuring, chopping, etc done beforehand. Also, if you are planning on serving it on rice or noodles, they should be ready or almost-ready when you begin stir-frying.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a medium bowl. Add beef strips & toss to coat.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet (on high heat). Toss in beef and stir-fry until cooked (3-5 minutes or so). Remove and set aside.
- Put veggies, garlic & ginger in the pan & stir-fry for about 5 minutes or so.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar & cayenne pepper; add to pan.
- Bring to a boil, then add the cooked beef.
- Continue to stir-fry until heated through. Top with sesame seeds.