Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Serve with rice.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry or 1⁄3 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, broccoli carrots water chestnuts and red peppers
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Brown beef.
- Add onions, 1 1/2 cups water, sherry, sugar, ginger and soy sauce; mix well.
- Bring to a boil Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetables.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- In small jar with tight fitting lid, combine 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch; shake well to blend.
- Gradually add to stew, stirring constantly.
- Cook about 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.