Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
These ginger bars are a family favorite. They taste great sprinkled with confectioner's sugar or with a dollop of lemon pudding.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs; beat well.
- Beat in water and molasses.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and spices; add molasses mixture.
- Spread into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes, or until bars are done.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar.
Took to a potluck. Brought home empty pan. Always the sign of success.
I had lost this recipe, thanks for posting. This is by far the best tasting ginger bars, one of the "oldie but goodie" recipes.
These are excellent! Makes a perfect fall dessert or snack.