- 1 lb onion, chopped
- 6 ripe bananas, put through a food mill
- 3⁄4 lb pitted dates, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 lb crystallized ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 lb raisins, chopped
- 2 cups fresh pineapple juice or 2 cups canned unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions, bananas, dates and vinegar in a nonreactive saucepan.
- Stir them to mix well and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to make sure they are well combined.
- Continue to cook until the chutney has a jam-like consistency.
- Remove from the heat and place in sterilized jars.
- This chutney can accompany cold meats, grilled meats and of course, curries.
- It will keep for 3 weeks in the refrigerator.