Recipe by morgainegeiser
This slightly sweet rice makes a delicious accompaniment to any Indian entree.
Top Review by Baby Kato
I enjoyed this tasty rice dish for lunch today. So much flavor, sweet, savory, salty and spicy. The textures were great, loved the onion, celery and peanuts. It was great warm. I'm looking forward to having the rest of it served cold for lunch tomorrow. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT-8 - India
- 1 cup basmati rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, coarsely chopped, dry roasted, unslated
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice and soak if desired. If you are using a rice other than basmati, skip this step.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
- Add ginger root. Continue to cook 2 minutes more.
- Add apricots and spices, along with about a tbsp of water. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly and adding small amounts of water if necessary, about a tbsp at a time to prevent sticking.
- Add water starting with the rice soaking water if you are using soaked basmati rice, and adding enough tap water to equal the 2 cups. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. When water boils again, stir, reduce heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork, spoon into a serving bowl and top with peanuts.