1/2 Photos of Ginger Apricot Rice With Peanuts
This slightly sweet rice makes a delicious accompaniment to any Indian entree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup basmati rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, finely minced
- 1/4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, coarsely chopped, dry roasted, unslated
- 1Wash the rice and soak if desired. If you are using a rice other than basmati, skip this step.
- 2Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
- 3Add ginger root. Continue to cook 2 minutes more.
- 4Add apricots and spices, along with about a tbsp of water. Continue to cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly and adding small amounts of water if necessary, about a tbsp at a time to prevent sticking.
- 5Add water starting with the rice soaking water if you are using soaked basmati rice, and adding enough tap water to equal the 2 cups. Add salt.
- 6Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. When water boils again, stir, reduce heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- 7Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- 8Fluff rice with a fork, spoon into a serving bowl and top with peanuts.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Apricot Rice With Peanuts
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.7
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 165.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 5.4 g