7 hrs 25 mins
From Canadian Living Magazine 2004. You will love the flavors of this Crock Pot meal. Don't let the long list of ingredients deter you from this recipe. It is divine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 turnips, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup beef broth or 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, soften
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1cut ribs into 2 bone pieces.
- 2arrange on broiler pan and broil until browned on both sides.
- 3set browned ribs aside.
- 4In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- 5Saute garlic, onions, ginger, and hot pepper flakes until onions are soft then add to crock pot.
- 6add to crock pot carrots, turnips, diced tomatoes, beef stock, soy sauce, tomato paste.
- 7Using a cheesecloth combine fennel seed, cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon, tie cheesecloth. securely.
- 8place cheesecloth on top of vegetables.
- 9add ribs.
- 10cover and cook on low until meat is tender, about 7-8 hours.
- 11skim off any fat produced by ribs.
- 12in a separate bowl combine flour with butter.
- 13stir into crock pot.
- 14increase heat to high.
- 15cover and let cook until liquid thickness.
- 16When ready to serve sprinkle green onion on top (if using).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger and Tomato Beef Short Rib Stew
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1083.2
- Calories from Fat 819
- Total Fat 91.0 g
- Saturated Fat 39.8 g
- Cholesterol 187.6 mg
- Sodium 1484.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 38.1 g