Recipe by daisygrl64
From Canadian Living Magazine 2004. You will love the flavors of this Crock Pot meal. Don't let the long list of ingredients deter you from this recipe. It is divine!
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 turnips, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, soften
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- cut ribs into 2 bone pieces.
- arrange on broiler pan and broil until browned on both sides.
- set browned ribs aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute garlic, onions, ginger, and hot pepper flakes until onions are soft then add to crock pot.
- add to crock pot carrots, turnips, diced tomatoes, beef stock, soy sauce, tomato paste.
- Using a cheesecloth combine fennel seed, cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon, tie cheesecloth. securely.
- place cheesecloth on top of vegetables.
- add ribs.
- cover and cook on low until meat is tender, about 7-8 hours.
- skim off any fat produced by ribs.
- in a separate bowl combine flour with butter.
- stir into crock pot.
- increase heat to high.
- cover and let cook until liquid thickness.
- When ready to serve sprinkle green onion on top (if using).