Recipe by English_Rose
Fresh ginger juice adds a particular zing to a marinade: the fragrant, hot flavour penetrates into meat, poultry, fish and seafood, while helping to tenderise at the same time. The sesame seeds in this recipe add texture, the fish sauce adds saltiness, and the sweet-and-sour blend of sugar and lime juice completes the Asian credentials of this marinade.Can be used to prepare- 4 Beef steaks or 4 Lamb steaks or 4 Pork chops or 6 Chicken breasts or 6 Fish steaks and fillets or 4 Duck breasts or 2lbs of jumbo shrimp. Time does not include marinating.
Top Review by Chef floWer
Yum! I need a ginger and sesame marinade for Recipe #241227. This recipe really worked well. I only used one chicken breast so I changed the serving size to 1/4 cup. I marinated the chicken for about 6 hours, the flavours really soaked up. Thanks English_Rose for posting your recipe.
- 5 in fresh gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons lime juice or 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- The marinade- Put the ginger in a fine sieve, or a sieve lined with muslin, and press the juice into a bowl.
- You need to extract 7 tbs ginger juice – add a little water to the ginger pulp and squeeze again if necessary. Add the remaining ingredients, except the sugar, and stir to mix.
- Put the meat or seafood in a non-metallic shallow dish and rub the marinade all over. For meat, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. Fish and shrimp only need marinating for up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Remember to give the marinated food at least 20 minutes to return to room temperature before cooking.
- To cook- While cooking the food, season and baste it with the marinade. Before brushing the final few strokes on, add the sugar and stir to dissolve; this helps glaze the food, but if the sugar is added too soon, it will burn and stick.