Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This cake smells wonderful whilst baking! I make it for lunch boxes and it's ideal for a picnic. Freezes well too.
- 360 g cake flour
- 275 g caster sugar
- 10 ml baking powder
- 10 ml ground ginger
- 3 ml salt
- 2 lemons, rind and juice
- 75 ml butter
- 200 ml skim milk
- 1 egg, whisked
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 175 ml applesauce
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and spray a medium-sized loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger and salt together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the rind.
- Dice the butter and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat the milk, egg, vanilla essence, lemon juice and apple sauce together and add to the flour mixture.
- Mix until smooth and turn the batter into the loaf pan.
- Arrange the lemon slices on top and bake for about 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- (Cover the loaf with aluminium foil after an hour to prevent the top and lemon slices from burning.) Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning out.