Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe will make 8, 16 ounce bottles.
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon yeast
- Chop up the ginger root, use 3 oz if you want it stronger.
- Simmer the ginger, juices, and sugars in 1 ½ quart of water for 30 mintues to an hour. The longer you leave it simmer, the stronger it will be.
- Remove heat and strain through a kitchen strainer.
- Mix the brew with the other 3 quarts of water.
- Let it all cool till it’s lukewarm.
- Inside a small jar, stir in 1/8 teaspoon of yeast in with 1⁄4 cup warm water (not hot!) Bread yeast will work but ale yeast from a homebrew store is preferred.
- After 15 minutes, add the yeast solution to your lukewarm brew.
- Sit for 10 minutes.
- Bottle it in 8 - 12 oz bottles.
- Make sure you CLEAN your bottles inside and out, rinse and air dry.
- How to use plastic bottles:.
- Pour in the brew and twist the caps on tight.
- Squeeze the bottles and notice how they give.
- Every few hours, squeeze them and see how they are giving. They will get harder to squeeze. When they no longer give any more, put them in the fridge.
- Drink cold and enjoy!
- If you used glass bottles, put them in the fridge after a day.
- Don't want to use yeast? Substitute a carbonated water like club or seltzer water in place of that extra 3 quarts of water.