Recipe by Oolala
Saw this on a website and thought it sounded interesting and easy. From Laurie Siegel, Cos Cob, CT. May be made ahead and frozen.
Top Review by Chef JVDreamWorker
I have been using this recipe (actually, a similar one) for over 20 years. Sometimes i leave out the wine an add more ginger ale as someone else suggests. However, I add potato wedges in the crock pot from the beginning and they are delicious. Sometimes I add string beans about an hour before the brisket is done. One other note, I usually wind up doubling the "sauce" to make sure it covers the brisket and potatos in my crock pot.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) beef brisket
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle ginger ale
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bottom of a Dutch Oven, slice the onions and place brisket on top of them.
- Mix the ketchup, onion soup mix, ginger ale and wine together and pour them over the meat. Note:If you want more gravy, you can add more ginger ale or water.
- Cook for 2-3 hours until fork tender either in top of the stove or in a 350 degree F. oven. If you place meat in the oven, make sure your Dutch oven doesn't have a plastic knob on the lid (like mine does).
- Cool and slice against the grain.