Top Review by Mirj
I've been meaning to make this for yonks, and the Cook the Elves weekend gave me the perfect opportunity! I shaved the ginger with a potato peeler, which gave it more surface and more flavor. Instead of lemon flavoring I used shaved pieces of lemon peel and strained that out with the ginger. I only had liquid stevia around, and used just a few drops. This makes a great syrup to use with club soda, but it also makes a great syrup to add to a chicken stir-fry. Add just about a tablespoon to your stir-fry with lots of scallions and some lemon-grass, and you have a winner!
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (4 inch) piece ginger, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons vanilla flavoring
- 3 teaspoons lemon flavoring (non-alcoholic)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon stevia powder (or to taste)
- 1 cup sparkling water or 1 cup club soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil down the ginger in water for 10 minutes.
- Strain out ginger pieces and pour ginger juice into jar.
- Add vanilla and lemon flavorings and stevia.
- Let cool and store in refrigerator as a syrup concentrate.
- Add 1/8- 1/4 cup of syrup to 6-8 oz of sparkling water and serve.