Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My husband & I saw this on "Down Home with the Neelys" on The Food Network the other night & thought it looked good. Tried it last night & boy were we right. It was delicious, both hot out of the oven & when it had cooled to room temperature. We were full from dinner but there were 2 pieces still on the pan, couldn't resist & they were just as good as the first bite if not more. Hope you enjoy this too.
- 1 (9 inch) ready-made refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 large yellow tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, cut up
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 deg. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle flour on a work surface.
- Roll out pie dough to form a 10-inch circle & place on baking sheet.
- Overlap & alternate the different tomatoes & mozzarella (I only had red tomatoes) in the center of the dough, leaving a 3-inch border.
- Scatter the basil leaves on top.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper & red pepper flakes.
- Fold the uncovered edges of the dough inward over the filling to create a pleated crust.
- Brush edges & top with olive oil. (Look at my pictures, watch out for holes in the edges, the water from the tomatoes will leak out.).
- Place in the oven & bake for 35 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes check for leaks & plug them.
- Remove from the oven to a cutting board.
- Slice & serve.
This was yummy and easy-nice way to use all those tomatoes from the yard. Will make this again and again. I think this would also be nice served as part of a brunch.
DH and I really enjoyed this. We were looking for something to use up our over abundance of tomatoes from the garden and this sounded differant. So glad we found this. I used a prepared pie crust, and all red tomatoes except for one tomatillo that added a little extra flavor. Used shredded mozzarell as that's what I had on hand. Other than that made just as directed and it came out wonderful. We will be making this again. Thanks Jackie for a very nice recipe.
Vary tasty. Made using only red tomatoes and used 4 as they were out of the yard and only medium size. Found the ready made crust to be just a smidgen to sweet . Over all a great taste and a good way to use some of those nice ripe tomatoes. Thanks so much for the post.