Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This "tipsy tomato" soup was adapted from a recipe from Le Pavillon at The Four Season's Hotel in Vancouver, BC. A very rich and special souper soup!
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 6 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup gin
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Combine tomato, garlic, thyme, paprika, sugar and Tabasco in a blender and puree.
- In a soup pot, sauté bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels.
- Add butter to pan with bacon drippings, melt butter, add mushrooms and sauté until golden.
- Add gin and bacon, stir, add tomato sauce and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cream, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Absolutely superb! It has been served at two small dinner parties and is a huge hit. Many Thanks. Cnd-Tom Kenora ON
This has turned into one of my all time favorite soups!
Very rich in flavor and easy as anything, real winner! Have some nice and crusty bread to go with it, yum!