Recipe by Lennie
I have never made this, but have eaten it lots ... it's from a favourite local restaurant and when the newspaper published the recipe, I immediately clipped it. Yum.
Top Review by oonadc
We made this tonight and thought it was excellent! I wanted to use a small amount of gin that we had instead of throwing it out. It wasn't a full 1/3 cup gin, but the soup was still very tasty. I used oxtail stock b/c that's what I had, and added the shredded meat from the stock-making. Also used canned whole, fire roasted tomatoes, which added flavor. This soup was very easy and quick to make. I highly recommend it!
- 5 fresh tomatoes, peeled,seeded and mashed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh button mushroom, , sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup gin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a glass bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, beef stock, thyme, and salt and pepper; mix well.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the mushrooms in the butter for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture, the Tabasco sauce and the gin and heat just until liquid begins to boil.
- Add cream and heat until liquid is just near the boiling point, but do not let it boil.
- Serve immediately.