Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have never made this, but have eaten it lots ... it's from a favourite local restaurant and when the newspaper published the recipe, I immediately clipped it. Yum.
- 5 fresh tomatoes, peeled,seeded and mashed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh button mushroom, , sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup gin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- In a glass bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, beef stock, thyme, and salt and pepper; mix well.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the mushrooms in the butter for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture, the Tabasco sauce and the gin and heat just until liquid begins to boil.
- Add cream and heat until liquid is just near the boiling point, but do not let it boil.
- Serve immediately.
We made this tonight and thought it was excellent! I wanted to use a small amount of gin that we had instead of throwing it out. It wasn't a full 1/3 cup gin, but the soup was still very tasty. I used oxtail stock b/c that's what I had, and added the shredded meat from the stock-making. Also used canned whole, fire roasted tomatoes, which added flavor. This soup was very easy and quick to make. I highly recommend it!
This was pretty quick and easy to make. It would be even quicker if canned tomatoes were substituted for the peeled fresh ones. Flavor was very close to canned tomato soup with cream and mushrooms added, which is why I only gave it 4 stars. It was disappointing to make a "from scratch" soup and only get something akin to a Campbells product. It was good, but I doubt I'll make this again.