1/1 Photo of Gilthead Sea Bream With Scallions and Ginger
The seabream, marinated with pepper and chili and broiled or grilled with scallions and ginger and and asiatic dipping sauce. The balance between sweet and sour notes makes this dish. Don't overspice it with too much chili. Let the flavours of the fish take control and you will love it. I use Gilthead Seabream, but you can use any other whitefleshed fish like snapper or other seabreams varities. I would suggest to use smaller whole fish. If you use fillets reduce broiling time. But use always fresh fish for this dish to get the full flavours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) sea bream (gut and scales removed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (about 1 inch long)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 scallions
- 1 piece red chili pepper (1 inch long)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1Make dipping sauce first. Mix all ingredients and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven for broiling (480 F, 250 C).
- 3For the marinade crush pepper corns in mortar and add chili pepper, salt and fish sauce. Crush and mash until well combined.
- 4Clean fish and pat dry. With a sharp knife cut 2 or 3 into the flesh slightly on the thickest part.
- 5Smear the marinade onto the fish on both sides and into the cavity. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile cut scallions first into 1 inch long pieces and then into very fine stripes. Do the same with ginger and chili pepper. Cut garlic into very fine slices.
- 7Oil a grilling pan with sunflower oil and put fish on it. Put fish into the oven and broil for about 8 minutes on each side.
- 8Watch carefully and brush from time to time with oil. For broiling you should need about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- 9While fish is broiling heat the remaining tablespoon oil in samll pan over medium hight heat. Add scallions and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 10Add ginger, garlic, red chili pepper and sugra and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 11Take fish out of the oven and serve with scallions and ginger on top of it. Serve the dipping sauce in a seperate small bowl.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gilthead Sea Bream With Scallions and Ginger
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.9
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2253.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili peppers