Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
This delicious, simple to make garlic bread is appropriately named after the garlic capitol of the world: Gilroy,California. From a February 1989 issue of Bon Appetit.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 3 oz.)
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon generous dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 loaf French bread, halved lengthwise (about 1 pound)
- Thoroughly combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread garlic butter on cut sides of bread.
- Wrap each bread half in foil.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.).
- Place bread on baking sheet, cut side up.
- Bake 20 minutes, remove foil from bread.
- Preheat broiler; broil cut side up until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
This is a great recipe. I do it in proportions without measuring so that I make only as much as I need--1 part butter, 1 part Parmesan cheese, half as much mayonnaise... I use more garlic than the recipe calls for because I love garlic. I always use this garlic bread recipe when I'm in a hurry, which is most of the time, and it turns out great! Thanks for posting!
I joined this website, just so I could comment on this recipe. I was looking for a garlic spread or dipping sauce for bread sticks and freshly baked bread. I wanted some body to it, not just melted butter and garlic. Found this recipe, and made the butter - mixed the ingredients and... WOW! Make any bread taste like fresh out of the oven garlic bread. Easy to make, and amazing to taste.