Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Gigi used to use a heart shaped mold. So pretty for Valentine's Day.
- 4 cups rhubarb, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 2 cups strawberries, fresh, sliced
- Combine rhubarb, water and sugar in pan and cook until rhubarb is tender.
- Place jello in glass bowl.
- Add hot rhubarb mixture and stir until jello has dissolved.
- Add orange juice and orange peel.
- Chill until syrupy, then fold in strawberries.
- Pour into an oiled 1 qt mold.
- Chill until set.
- Unmold and garnish with fresh strawberries.
In our family, we garnish with a dollop of mayo, mint leaves and strawberries.
My sister brought this salad to a family reunion a few years back and I have been making it ever since. Always the first to go at family gatherings or pot luck dinners. We know it as "Refreshing Rhubarb Salad"
I made this for a Mother's Day lunch and LOVED it. I chose it because my daughter enjoys strawberry rhubarb pie! I used fresh squeezed orange juice. This set up beautifully in my Tupperware mold. The texture is similar to one with applesauce and the flavors are intensely fruity! This is one of my new favorite Jello salads. Thanks for posting Krsi Sue. Roxygirl