Recipe by Krsi Sue
My Grandma (Gigi) received monthly recipe cards from the Montana-Dakota Utilies Co during World War II. This was a recipe from the month of "April" Year unknown. The comment on the card states: Food for Victory.
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of your favorite fish fillets, 1/2-inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash spinach, and DO NOT dry leaves.
- Saute spinach and onion together in small pan, without adding additional water, until tender.
- Drain off liquid and chop.
- Add butter and salt to taste, and cool.
- When room temperature, add egg and just enough bread crumbs to hold the mixture together. You may NOT use the entire cup of bread crumbs.
- Spread the mixture in the center of each fish fillet.
- Roll fillets and fasten with skewer.
- Place in a well-greased baking dish on its side.
- Bake 400 degrees about 20 minutes, or until tender and browned.