Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Grandma (Gigi) received monthly recipe cards from the Montana-Dakota Utilies Co during World War II. This was a recipe from the month of "January" Year unknown. The comment on the card states: Food for Victory...This satisfies that craving for "Sugar n' Spice"
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3⁄4 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Cream shortning and honey.
- Add egg and orange peel.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda together in separate bowl.
- Combine the two mixes together alternately with juice.
- Add nuts if desired and mix.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 Degrees for 1 Hour.