Recipe by Krsi Sue
During WWII, the Montana-Dakota Utilities Company published monthly recipes and at Christmas, sent out a Holiday menu. This is from my grandma's (Gigi)collection of recipes from them. This is nice with Creamy Sauce served over the top of it. Can be made 2 or 3 days before.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 cup almonds or 1 cup pecans, chopped fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend shortening, salt and spices.
- Add sugar gradually and cream well.
- Add molasses and beat.
- Add eggs slowly, beating while adding.
- Add pumpkin and blend.
- In separate bowl, blend soda, baking powder and flour.
- Add to creamed mixture, alternately with sour milk, mixing after each addition until smooth.
- Add almonds and mix.
- Pour into well greased steamed pudding mold.
- Cover tightly and steam 2 hours.
- Unmold on plate.
- Can re-steam 30 to 40 minutes before serving if made the day before.