Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Grandma (Gigi) received monthly recipe cards from the Montana-Dakota Utilies Co during World War II. This was a recipe from the month of "September" Year unknown. The recipe called for bacon fat for the fat, but I've used butter.
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking wheat cereal
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fat or 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook cereal in boiling water with 1 tsp salt.
- Stir in bacon fat or butter and bacon.
- Grease 8x8 baking dish and pour mixture into the dish.
- Chill until set solid.
- Cut cereal into 4 inch rounds or squares.
- Brown quickly in greased frying pan.
- Using a spoon, make a dent in the cereal large enough to hold a raw egg.
- Slip egg into each dent and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and continue to cook on medium heat until eggs are set. (about 5 minutes).
- You may also bake it to set the eggs.