Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Originally from Taste of Home. I make this during the Christmas Season - It's loaded with scrumptious ingredients such as coconut, mandarin oranges, dates, cherries, chocolate chips and almonds.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with bananas.
- Stir in the oranges, coconut, chocolate chips, 1/2 cup almonds, cherries and dates.
- Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
This is the BEST quick bread ever! I've made it 3 times using different dried fruit mixes each time and every one was wonderful. I used apricots, peaches and pears. I used raisins, dates, and figs and I used a variety mix of dried berries---all were wonderful and drew rave reviews! Quick and easy to put together. I make them in mini disposable pans and bake them for about 30 minutes. this is a recipe that I will use for years to come! thank you so much for posting this!
Made this last evening, and it is amazing! Every kind of desirable flavour I could want in a cake..all in one! Very festive - I feel the urge to celebrate as I eat it! I used a tube pan, greased and floured, instead of loaf pans, and it turned out perfectly after 1 hour of baking. It's substantial like a fruitcake, but sunnier somehow, and may lend itself to other special occasions throughout the year. Thanks for posting!
A friend just gave us a loaf of this bread.It is so fantastic,the comination of fruits and nuts reminded us of a fruitcake.Excellent flavor!This is one recipe we will be using for a long time.Thank you for posting it!