Recipe by Mirj
Fill these bowls with your favorite cookies.
Top Review by wild7house
This recipe must be wrong. I made the dough and it was so dry that it wouldn't stay together. I added more milk until it did. Also, in the directions it doesn't mention the vanilla. I haven't baked it yet, it's still chilling.
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Add shortening and butter to a mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until softened and well blended.
- Add half of the flour, sugar, egg, milk, baking powder and salt to the flour.
- Beat until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, invert a 1 or 1 1/2 quart ovenproof bowl on a cookie sheet. Cover the bowl with foil. Grease the foil and set aside.
- For a pattern, cut out a 9 inch circle of parchment paper.
- To make bowls-------------.
- Roll out one of the dough packages between 2 sheets of wax paper to a 10-11 inch circle.
- Lay your 9 inch pattern on top. Cut with a knife or fluted pastry cutter around the pattern.
- If desired, cut out of the scrap dough decorative shapes and place them on another cookie sheet.
- Remove one sheet of the wax paper and carefully invert dough over bowl.
- Remove other sheet and form dough around bowl.
- Bake the cookie bowl in a 350° F oven, about 15 minutes or until edges turn a light brown.
- Transfer the cookie bowl to a wire rack to cool.
- Then carefully remove the cookie bowl from bowl it was baked on.
- Bake the decorative shapes, if you did them, for about 6 minutes or till the edges are a light brown.
- Cool and attach with a little frosting.