Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My husband is Serbian and this is a staple at our table. This is a wonderful phyllo/cheese dish. You can also add a few ounces of farmer cheese to your cheese mixture. It adds great flavor. Not for low-cal dieters for sure!
- 453.59 g phyllo dough (thawed)
- 907.18 g feta cheese (broken into pieces)
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 6 eggs
- 226.79 g butter (melted)
- 118.29 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Add sifted flour and salt.
- Beat well.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Add cheese and fold thoroughly.
- Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Place 2 sheets of phyllo in pan.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons melted butter over dough and brush to edges.
- Spread about 6 large spoons of cheese mixture on top.
- Repeat the dough and butter and continue to layer with cheese mixture until 2 sheets of phyllo are left.
- Add last two sheets on top and pour remaining butter over dough.
- Bake uncovered in 325 degree oven for one hour.
- It will get puffy and golden brown, but will reduce down when it cools. (I test for doneness by shaking the pan a bit; if the cheese doesn't move; it's done. If it's getting too dark and the cheese is still jiggly, cover with foil and continue to bake).
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
I grew up on this recipe in my child hood I have access to my grandmas cookbook but would need a translator as she wrote it in serbian my grandparent taught the basics of serbian never learned the writing I'll try this and see if it tastes like hers
My husband is Serbian (I'm not) and I am always looking for Serbian recipes form his childhood. I was very excited when I found this recipe because it sounds like the one he grew up with. The only thing I added (because his mom added it) was a box of defrosted spinach. Keep the Serbian recipes coming!