Recipe by MilanzMom
My husband is Serbian and this is a staple at our table. This is a wonderful phyllo/cheese dish. You can also add a few ounces of farmer cheese to your cheese mixture. It adds great flavor. Not for low-cal dieters for sure!
Top Review by Cooking Bunny
My husband is Serbian (I'm not) and I am always looking for Serbian recipes form his childhood. I was very excited when I found this recipe because it sounds like the one he grew up with. The only thing I added (because his mom added it) was a box of defrosted spinach. Keep the Serbian recipes coming!
- 1 lb phyllo dough (thawed)
- 2 lbs feta cheese (broken into pieces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 lb butter (melted)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Add sifted flour and salt.
- Beat well.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Add cheese and fold thoroughly.
- Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Place 2 sheets of phyllo in pan.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons melted butter over dough and brush to edges.
- Spread about 6 large spoons of cheese mixture on top.
- Repeat the dough and butter and continue to layer with cheese mixture until 2 sheets of phyllo are left.
- Add last two sheets on top and pour remaining butter over dough.
- Bake uncovered in 325 degree oven for one hour.
- It will get puffy and golden brown, but will reduce down when it cools. (I test for doneness by shaking the pan a bit; if the cheese doesn't move; it's done. If it's getting too dark and the cheese is still jiggly, cover with foil and continue to bake).
- Cut into squares and serve warm.