1 hr 10 mins
My husband is Serbian and this is a staple at our table. This is a wonderful phyllo/cheese dish. You can also add a few ounces of farmer cheese to your cheese mixture. It adds great flavor. Not for low-cal dieters for sure!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat eggs until foamy.
- 2Add sifted flour and salt.
- 3Beat well.
- 4Add sour cream and mix well.
- 5Add cheese and fold thoroughly.
- 6Grease a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- 7Place 2 sheets of phyllo in pan.
- 8Pour about 2 tablespoons melted butter over dough and brush to edges.
- 9Spread about 6 large spoons of cheese mixture on top.
- 10Repeat the dough and butter and continue to layer with cheese mixture until 2 sheets of phyllo are left.
- 11Add last two sheets on top and pour remaining butter over dough.
- 12Bake uncovered in 325 degree oven for one hour.
- 13It will get puffy and golden brown, but will reduce down when it cools. (I test for doneness by shaking the pan a bit; if the cheese doesn't move; it's done. If it's getting too dark and the cheese is still jiggly, cover with foil and continue to bake).
- 14Cut into squares and serve warm.
Nutritional Facts for Gibanica (Gib-A-Neetza)
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.3
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.5 g
- Cholesterol 253.5 mg
- Sodium 1692.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 21.2 g