Prep 5 mins
Cook 32 mins
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 cups stock or 5 cups water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- salt and pepper
For the Avgolemono
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl mix the meat, rice, onion, parsley, dill, oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix very well and shape into 1" balls.
- In a large pot add the stock or water along with the butter and bring to a boil.
- Add the meat/rice balls and cook at a simmer for about 30 minutes.
- If the soup is too liquid, take the flour and 1 teaspoon butter and mash together, add to the soup and simmer 1-2 minutes , this will thicken the soup.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs and add the lemon juice, and slowly trickle 2 ladle full of broth to temper the eggs (beating constantly to prevent the eggs from scrambling.) Add to the soup.
Loved these Lamb balls. Try making them into patties and serve as a hamburger on a bun! mmmm Thanks Laur