3 hrs 20 mins
A tangy, pickled vegetable topping for Italian beef sandwiches, with sausages, French dips, pastas, pizzas, and more. If you'd like to kick it up a notch, feel free to add a handful of chiles. From the US National Center for Home Food Preservation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs pickling cucumbers (of 4- to 5-inch, washed, cut off 1/16-inch from blossom end or discard and cut cukes into 1-inch sli)
- 2 lbs small onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cups celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups carrots (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups sweet red peppers (peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 5 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup canning salt or 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1Combine vegetables, cover with 2 inches of cubed or crushed ice, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- 2In 8-quart kettle, combine vinegar and mustard and mix well.
- 3Add salt, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, cloves, turmeric.
- 4Bring to a boil.
- 5Drain vegetables and add to hot pickling solution.
- 6Cover and slowly bring to a boil.
- 7Drain vegetables but save pickling solution.
- 8Fill vegetables in sterile pint jars, or clean quarts, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- 9Add pickling solution, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- 10Adjust lids and process pints for 5 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet, 10 minutes from 1000 to 6000 feet and 15 minutes over that. Quarts are processed 10, 15 and 20 minutes depending upon your altitude.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giardiniera -- Mixed Pickled Vegetables for Canning -- U S D A
Serving Size: 1 (6034 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.0
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5804.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 80.9 g
- Protein 4.3 g