24 hrs 30 mins
This recipe started on the back of the corn package, but I've changed it quite a bit to suit my tastes. It can be done all on the stove top, but I love not having to worry about boil overs, etc. This is mildly spicy. Giant white corn is available in Hispanic markets, Goya is a nationally-available brand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces giant white dried corn kernels
- 2 lbs pork stew meat, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons sazon goya con culantro y achiote
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Soak dried corn kernels overnight in cold water. Drain, rinse, place in crock pot. Cover with cold water and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours. The corn should be soft - tender enough to bite through. (My neighborhood Mexican market has started selling prepared corn kernels in a plastic bag, next to the prepared masa, in the refrigerated case - this simplifies prep!).
- 2Heat oil in skillet. Brown pork in skillet. Remove to crock pot. Deglaze pan with some water and pour juices into the crock pot.
- 3Add all remaining ingredients to crock pot and add enough water to cover. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. The corn will "open" up, kind of like popcorn.
- 4Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired.
- 5Note 1: A 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilis can be substituted for the tomato and jalapeno. I use 1 1/2 teaspoons salt if using fresh ingredients.
- 6Note 2: I start this the morning before I want to serve it. I cook the corn overnight and then finish the next morning. You can modify the time needed by cooking on high, etc.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giant White Corn and Pork Soup (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.0
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 444.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 47.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried corn kernels
sazon goya con culantro y achiote