Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
A lovely filled cookie from an old newspaper clipping. Roll some out for your family gatherings or for story time with a glass of icy cold milk. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 591.47 ml flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 453.59 g fresh plum, thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml butter
- 29.58 ml cornstarch, mixed with
- 29.58 ml water
- 9.85 ml lemon juice (fresh is best)
- egg, lightly beaten
- To make the filling: Place plums, sugar and butter in saucepan; cook over low heat until juices flow.
- Heat to boil; simmer 3 minutes or until plums are tender when pierced.
- Add cornstarch/water mixture and cook until mixture is clear and thickened; stir in lemon juice and set aside to cool.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla; stir in sifted dry ingredients.
- Chill dough one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F and spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll dough on floured board to 1/8" thickness; cut into 3 1/2" circles.
- Work with only a portion of dough at a time for ease of handling.
- Cut a 1" hole in middle of half of the circles.
- Put 2 tablespoons plum filling on center of the other half of the circles.
- Top with holed circle and crimp edges decoratively with a fork.
- Arrange on a cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden; cool on rack.