Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a nice salad to serve with fish or chicken. I sometimes grill the mushrooms and slice them up, I add some toasted pine nuts and some sauteed panchetta as well. Original recipe from Rachel Ray below. If you can't find portobellos you can use the small mushrooms.
- extra virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling, plus
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves, a couple of sprigs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced stale chewy bread
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, from the heart with green tops very thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- couple handfuls flat leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 small chunk parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to shave on salad
- Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over 4 mushrooms and season with rosemary and salt and pepper. Grill 5 minutes on each side then remove from grill.
- While the portobellos cook, cut the remaining portobello into 4 thick slices then thinly slice each piece across. Mix the shaved fresh mushrooms with bread, tomatoes, celery, onion and parsley and dress the salad with the juice of 1 lemon and about 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil. Toss and season the salad with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top grilled mushrooms with mounds of the salad and shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano.