Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom made this all the time when I was little. It is one of those comfort desserts that you always feel good about eating.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 -4 pints of sliced strawberries
- whipped cream
- chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend flour, 3 tbsp of the sugar, salt, baking powder, and, butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the cream and milk, and mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Form dough into 7 inch diameter circle.
- Place round on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-20 minutes, until cake springs back.
- Remove shortcake and place on wire rack to cool.
- Place the strawberries in a large bowl with the rest of the sugar and let sit for up to 2 hours until a juicy syrup forms in the bowl.
- Slice the shortcake in half horizontally, and place the bottom half on a plate.
- Spread a generous portion of whipped cream on the bottom half, and then spoon some strawberries and juice on top of that.
- Place the other half on top of the strawberries and spread more whipped cream and strawberries on top.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top (if desired).