Recipe by A Joyful Riot
Pizza is great. Dessert is better! Learn how to make a giant pizza-inspired cookie complete with candy toppings.
- 1 roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 (14 ounce) box royal icing
- food coloring
- piping bag for icing
- pastry tips # 2a and # 125 for icing
Directions See How It's Made
- OPTIONAL CANDY TOPPINGS: red licorice wheels or red fruit leather, black licorice, square piece bubble gum, green and/or purple taffy candy, pink bubble tape.
- Press sugar cookie dough into a round cookie pan.
- Bake according to package or recipe instructions.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool at least 2 hours. You can remove from the pan or leave it inside.
- Make royal icing according to box or recipe instructions.
- Divide about half of the icing into two other bowls, one with slightly more than the other.
- Color the remaining icing yellow (gel icing colors work best because they don’t alter the consistency of the icing).
- Color the smallest portion of icing red and the last bowl a tan crust-like color (we used a little copper and a little brown to achieve this look).
- Fill an icing bag affixed with a large round tip (like #2A) with the yellow icing. Pipe a large circle onto cookie representing where you’ll want your “cheese” layer to go out to (leave about 1 1/2 inches for the sauce and crust). Immediately fill this circle in with the rest of the yellow icing, spreading together with a spatula if needed.
- Allow the yellow icing to set for a few minutes until it has a slight crust on it.
- Now fill an icing bag with the same larger tip with the red icing. And pipe this around the “cheese” circle. This represents pizza sauce so it doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Similarly allow to set for a few minutes before finally following with the crust-colored icing and spreading it out to the edge of your cookie. A flatter icing tip, such as #125, is perfect for this.
- Now make the perfect pizza for yourself by choosing your favorite toppings! Red licorice wheels are perfect pepperonis, and so is red fruit leather cut into circles. Cutting black licorice into little rings makes great olives. Red square bubble gum for tomatoes, yellow for pineapple, green or purple for onions. Bubble gum tape can be cut into squares for ham, and green or purple taffy can be cut into pepper slices or purple onion strips.
- Add your desired toppings and then use a pizza roller to slice into pieces and serve!