Recipe by ladypit
These are wonderful soft and chewy ginger cookies. They make a lovely afternoon treat or could be put in a lunch box. They are originally from "Hey, Mom! I'm Hungry!" by Susan Powter and were supposed to be cookies to use to make ice cream sandwiches. Honestly, though, they never last long enough in our house to put ice cream between them! They are gobbled up as soon as they are cool enough to hold!
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml white flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 0.25 ml salt
- 9.85 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 295.73 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml molasses
- 2 large egg whites or 59.14 ml egg substitute
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Combine the flour through the brown sugar and mix well.
- Using an electric mixer combine the butter, molasses, egg whites, and applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Drop the batter by 1 1/2 tablespoons onto the baking sheet.
- These will spread so allow some room.
- Bake for about 15 minutes per batch or until they are starting to brown on the bottom.
- Let these cool on a rack.