This is just too wonderful. From Taste of Home.
Make and share this Giant Ice Cream Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (20 ounce) packages brownie mix
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1⁄2 cup English toffee bits or 1⁄2 cup almond brickle chips
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare the brownie mixes according to package directions, adding chocolate morsels to batter.
- Pour into two greased 9-inch springform pans or two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Spoon ice cream on top of one brownie layer; top with toffee bits and second brownie layer. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze until set. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.
- For chocolate sauce, combine milk, butter and chocolate morsels in a saucepan. Heat until morsels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Stir in confectioners sugar and vanilla. Cut the ice cream sandwich into wedges; serve with chocolate sauce.
Brought this out to oohs and ahhs - it really does look like a giant icecream sandwich. I changed the recipe a bit to add peanut butter flavour: I spread a thin layer of pb on the bottom brownie before adding the icecream, and instead of toffee bits, I crushed up a couple of Crispy Crunch chocolate bars. It was definitely tasty, but I had a problem with the brownie part being too hard when frozen compared to the icecream - made it so hard to cut, and hard to eat. I think next time I will freeze the icecream in the cake pan so it will be the right shape, keep the brownie part in the refrigerator and assemble it just before serving. Thanks for a fun recipe! p.s. Sauce was delicious.
Congrats! Your recipe will be featured on our homepage today as the "Recipe of the Day! "
I made this for a friend for her birthday and she loved it! I added nuts in with the brownie mixture and then froze the ice cream in a 9x9" cake pan, then assembled the cake right before serving time. Was easy to assemble and everybody loved it!