Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from Fleischmann's yeast company.
- 1⁄2 cup water (70º to 80ºF)
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1⁄2 cup chopped or snipped pitted dates
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Measure all ingredients except dates, candied fruits and frosting into bread machine pan in the order that the bread machine manufacturer suggests.
- Process in sweet bread or dried fruit/nut cycle; if machine does not have these cycles, use basic bread cycle on lightest crust setting.
- Add dates and candied fruits at the signal or 5 to 10 minutes before the last kneading step ends.
- Remove baked bread from pan; cool on wire rack.
- Drizzle or pipe frosting on bread to make a cross.
- Powdered Sugar Frosting: In small bowl, combine sifted powdered sugar, 1 to 2 teaspoons evaporated milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir until smooth.