Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
Try this lovely recipe for an old-fashioned treat! 5-8 inch high cookies
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- raisins or currants
- Beat sugar, shortening, molasses and water in a large bowl on low speed until blended.
- Beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except raisins.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle a cloth-covered surface lightly with flour; turn dough onto surface.
- Roll dough with a rolling pin until 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with a 5- to 8-inch gingerbread kid cutter.
- Lift cookies carefully with a large spatula onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate cookies with raisins.
- Bake until set, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool 3 minutes, then carefully remove from cookie sheet with a spatula.
- Cool; decorate with frosting if you like.