source: Carol Walter "Great Cookies"
My Private Note
giant c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, slightly firm
- 3/4 cup Crisco, at room termperature
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1Position the shelves in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Dab the corners of the cookie shets (14 x 17 inch) lightly with butter and line with baking parchment.
- 2Strain together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, clobves, ans salt. Set aside.
- 3In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter on medium-low speed until smooth, about 1 minute, then add the shorterning and continue to mix until creamy and lightened in color, about 1 minute longer. Add 2 cups of the sugar in four additions and continue to mix for another 2 minutes.
- 4Lightly beat the eggs and molasses together. Add to the butter-sugar mixture and mix on medium-low speed until well blended. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing just until combined.
- 5Place the reserved 1 cup of sugar in a shallow dish, such as apie plate. Using a drive 1/4-cup measure to portion the dough, form a 3-inch ball by rolling the dough in the palms of your hands. Roll the ball in the sugar and place it on the cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, placing the balls about 3 inches apart.
- 6Bake the cookies for 13 to 15 minutes, until cracked on top but still slightly soft. Rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back toward the end of the baking time. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes before loosening from the sheets with a large, metal spatula. Transfer to cooling racks.
- 7Store in an airtight container layered between strips of wax paper, for up to 3 weeks. These cookies may be frozen.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giant Ginger Spice Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.4
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 164.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 25.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g