Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Great for bake sales or for a large dessert. Chewy and delicious!
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup coarse sugar (or sub granulated sugar)
- In medium bowl stir together first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat shortening on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and beat until combined.
- Beat in eggs and molasses until combined.
- Mix in reserved flour and spice mixture until combined.
- Shape dough into 2 inch balls, (or you can measure with a #20 ice cream scoop).
- Roll balls in the coarse sugar.
- Place 2-1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed -- do not overbake!
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Love 'em...love 'em...love 'em....
These have such a wonderful flavor and texture! We loved them. Thanks for posting, DogandCatDoc!