Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
Yummy recipe from Martha Stewart
Make and share this Giant Chocolate Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup good-quality unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, substitute 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- 2. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in shortening (or additional butter). Add egg and vanilla; mix until creamy. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
- 3. Using a 2 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 4 inches apart. Bake until edges are firm, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.
I thought these were very, very good, easy to make and I would recommend them. Like the other reviewer, I had made them smaller and baked them for 8 minutes, but other than that I followed the recipe. The flavor was great and the chocolate aftertaste was just right. The one thing I had hoped was that although I expected the cookie to be crispy, I had hoped the center might have a hint more of chewiness. That being said, I made these for my Christmas cookies and wanted to take them to another level. I made them into sandwich cookies using some black raspberry preserves. That was just amazing and if you can, try it.
I did not want to go shopping but I was craving some good chocolate cookies..... So I tried this recipe and was surprized at how good they were.... I added a little more vanilla because I really like vanillla... and I made them smaller and cooked them for only 8 min...thanks for the great cookies!