Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Taste of Home
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon orange zest
- In large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the oats, flour, apple pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in cherries and orange peel.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Press to form a 4" circle.
- Bake at 375 for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool.