Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These turn out big, crunchy and as my family likes to call them... Chips Ahoy on steroids. Hehe. If your oven fluctuates in heat, or runs a little hot, you may need to cover the cookies with foil halfway through. These are based on cookies found at the Once Upon a Tart bakery shop in NYC
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (Morton) or 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend together butter and brown sugar then beat in egg and vanilla.
- Mix together flour, salt and baking soda and then stir into batter mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and chill dough for about an hour.
- Use 1/4 cup measure to form large mounds. Bake 17 to 18 minutes.
Crunchy doesn't describe how my cookies turned out, but that probably has to do with the fact that I stuck the dough in the freezer for about 20 minutes instead of refrigerating it. I absolutely love these things, they are sweet, thick, soft, and they are the perfect milk dunking cookie. Thank you, Hydra, these are awesome!
These cookies will appeal to anyone who likes a big thick firm chocolate chip cookie. The description "Chips Ahoy on steroids" really fits! We loved the crunchy little salty bits mixed in with the sweet chocolate. I used a scant 1/4 cup batter for each cookie which yielded 12 large cookies. Baking time was 15 - 16 minutes.